Saturday, August 2, 2008

No More Shame: A Story of Healed Wounds

I was a heroin addict in my 20s. I shot up as many times as I could a day. They left terrible track marks up and down my arms and hands. When I finally got clean, I was left with a lot of scars.

These scars all but faded over the years. But I have one very ugly, very obvious scar that remains on my right wrist. One day I was talking to God about it. I asked Him, "Lord, you have removed all of the other scars from me. This one stares me in the face every day. Others can see it clearly. I know you can remove it. Would you please remove it for me? I'm ashamed of it."

Very clearly and very gently, I heard God say to me, "Look at that scar. Do you remember the conditions that caused it? Do you remember the pain?"

"Yes,I do", I replied.

Then He said to me, "Touch it. Does it hurt? Do you feel pain now?"

"No", I said.

"That scar is there to remind you of how I healed you. Scars are a sign of healing, evidence of where I took your wounds and stitched them up. Everyone that you encounter has scars, Joyce. Many of those scars are on the inside but everyone has them. But scars don't hurt. Open wounds do. I stitched your open wounds up, inside and out."

As I continued to look at it and receive that as truth from God, He spoke again. "Don't you ever be ashamed to show and tell people of how I healed you. That scar isn't about you. It is about what I did for you and is to be used to share my hope and glory".

I've never been ashamed of that scar again.

4 comments:

Dromedary Hump said...

Nice parabale. Glad you overcame your addiction.

When I was about 5 I accidently got my penis caught in my zipper. Thats when zippers were brass and large, and my penis was small.

I still have that scar. No, it doesn't hurt, but there it is as a reminder to be more careful. Unfortuantely no god ever discussed it with me...but my mother did. She told me to avoid that in the future. Good advise, which I have followed to this day.
:)

Joyce said...

I don't know which scar took the greatest pain ... my shooting up or your beans & franks getting caught up in that zipper.

Either way, healing is a good thing and a healthy thing to share.

I'm sure your wife is happy that yours was a scar that healed up just as nicely! :)

Dromedary Hump said...

LOL!!
I must say, Joyce... you're a pistol!!

(k)
Hump

8th Notes said...

funny that i have known you for years ...had you in my home...been in your home...eaten and bullshitted with you -- and though i know the scars are there, i just never noticed them when i noticed you...

peace,
z