Friday, March 14, 2008

Thank you


I had a crazy, beautiful and baffling thing happen to me this week. I was at church for my Bible study. There were hundreds of people roaming around, meeting in their groups and just hanging out.

Out of nowhere, a beautiful woman who I didn't know came up behind me at my table and asked if I was Joyce. I said yes and she gave me a pink giftbag with my name on it. I looked at her quizzically and she told me that she was asked to give this to me anonymously, smiled at me and walked away.

I was a bit overwhelmed and didn't want to open the bag in front of the rest of my group so I placed it beside me and we continued with our Bible study (which was fantastic, by the way. Jeff and I have been doing this study with such a wonderful and diverse group of couples ... we love them so much and have made some really great new friends in the process).

When our group ended, I picked up the bag and opened it. Inside was a beautiful little box. I opened the box to find a note:

"Joyce, Bless you & buy yourself a nice new outfit! Enjoy!"

No signature. And $75 worth of gift cards to Macy's!!!! I am never able to go to Macy's! Especially not to buy myself an outfit! (I buy 95% of my clothing at Goodwill.)

Wow.

I don't know who. I certainly don't know why. But I do know that I am overwhelmed. I do know that I feel incredibly humbled (why me?!), grateful, excited, loved, and completely amazed that I was on someone's mind and that, for whatever reason, they wanted to bless me.

Wow again.

So whoever you are ... thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you so very, very much. Thank you for thinking of me. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for your generous heart. Thank you for making my heart swell with joy. Thank you for bringing tears of wonder and amazement to my eyes.

And thank you for the new dress I will be buying!

Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. (Philippians 1:3,4 The Message)

4 comments:

Dromedary Hump said...

Wow..thats so nice! You must be really loved. Enjoy that dress.

BTW, did you get that diamond and platinum tiara I had sent from Tiffanies in NYC yet? If not, let me know, I'll have them put a tracer on it with UPS. :|

Anonymous said...

Joyce,
I was not at all surprised that someone would want to bless you with generosity. You give and pour out your love to so many others just by following Jesus. Whoever sent you this knows just how truly special you are and I am thankful that God's goodness is reigning down on you. You are deserving. You are worthy and you are certainly loved!! Rejoicing for you!! Ginger

Joyce said...

Drom, yes. Incredibly nice!

I think that my tiara was hijacked by Sir Elton.

Ginger, you are so sweet. I don't see it or understand it ... but I'm grateful. Thank you.

And UPS just delivered my dress yesterday. :)

SARA said...

Joyce this is wonderful. You do radiate love and you spread the good word to all you meet. You must have touched many hearts so enjoy the bounty given you!
God Bless!