Sunday, December 14, 2008

Love needs no words


She never said a word. Not to me. Not to anyone else. She didn't sing or respond to sound or music. I don't know her name. I don't know where she came from or who she belongs to.

And I fell in love with her.

Touch ... she responded to touch. She'd smile a shy little smile into my face when I took her on my lap and clapped her hands together. She'd just as shyly reach out to touch me when my attention waned and was focused on another beautiful child who wanted and needed it.

I met her on Wednesday. On Thursday, they bussed in all of the children that we had gone out into the township to spend time with and shower our love on during the week.

As the hundreds of children piled into the auditorium, there she was. She didn't run. She didn't skip. But she had a purpose in mind, and her little legs moved steadily and confidently. She didn't stop to get in line for a gift or craft or to play with a friend. She determinedly strutted all the way across the huge auditorium ...

... and stopped in front of me. Her little arms reached up to me and I eagerly scooped her up. I hated to let her go.

Love needs no words.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Hi Joyce,

Love truly does need no words. It looks like you had a great time in Mamelodi. I'm glad I came across your blog. I'll have to check it out regularly now. Great story! Love, Denise Hardison

Joyce said...

Denise, it's so nice to hear from you! As you well know firsthand, there are a thousand stories in my head and in my heart -- putting them into words sometimes seems like an impossibility. Little by little, I am trying to get them out. It's not an easy task.

Our experience in Mamelodi was lifechanging. Expressing it in a way that others can grasp is a challenge. I hope in some way I can succeed. I'm so glad that Jeff and I shared this together; I can't imagine either one of us trying to express what we saw, felt, and experienced without having been there together.

Thanks for stopping by and reading. I was so happy to see your comment!

Love,
Joyce

Nutmeg said...

Hey Joyce! Good to find your blog again! Managed to get mine up and running again, hope to post lots in the next while. I posted another comment but blogger ate it I think! lol

Nutmeg